Behind-the-Wheel Instruction: State-Required 6 Hours
Classes for Youth / Driver Education -
Summer 2021 - Youth
This course is for teens (15-17 years old) who have completed the 30-hours of classroom instruction with another organization and need to complete the state-required 6-hours of behind-the-wheel lessons. Student will need to show proof of classroom completion ("Letter of Completion") from the organization where they took the class. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Students who do not have their permit yet will first be issued a Blue Card, which will allow them to take the permit test, and will then complete their behind-the-wheel lessons after receiving their permit. After receiving your hard, plastic permit in the mail, sign up to start your behind-the-wheel lessons on our website at www.spps.org/drivered.
- Parent/guardian permission is required for teen students to enroll in behind-the-wheel.
- Students will drive one-on-one with an instructor in an SPPS District vehicle.
- Specific lesson dates and times will be arranged with your instructor.
- Allow 6-8 weeks to complete your lessons. Rush or last-minute appointments are not available.
- Students have 18 months from the date of payment to complete their behind-the-wheel lesson.
- Students will arrange a pick up and drop of location with the instructor. Students who live outside of St. Paul need to make arrangements to begin and end their lesson in St. Paul.
- A $50 cancellation fee will be fined to students who do not show for their scheduled lesson, who cancel their lesson less than 24 hours in advance, and to students who do not have their permit with them in the vehicle for their lesson.
- $300 for 3 2-hour lessons
- You will not be charged the course fee until your Letter of Completion has been received and driver's permit verified (if applicable). You will be notified at that time and you can complete the payment online.
- See more details on the steps to sign up here.
- Parent/guardian permission is required to take this course.
- When creating your account, parent/guardian should create their own account and add their student to the parent/guardian's account.